We closed on our
house on Friday. Packing, loading,
cleaning, purging: you know how laborious and exhausting that can be. Instead of renting a moving truck, I bought a
16 foot trailer to pull behind our Tahoe, and it is packed out. Now the plan is
to pull the trailer to Idaho, unload it, and sell the trailer. Trailers sell for about $1200 dollars more
out in Idaho than they do in South Carolina, so I should be able to sell the
trailer for more than I paid for it. I
think it’s a good plan. But when I
hooked the trailer up to my Tahoe, the hitch dropped dramatically, only about
three inches from the ground. That’s not
going to work. I sought wise counsel
from a few people who actually know about these sorts of things, and I was told
that I need a weight distribution hitch and some sort of airbag for the rear
coils. So I take my Tahoe in on
Wednesday to have that done.
Leaving this house is bittersweet for us. Obviously, we knew we would have to sell it
before moving to Idaho, but as we packed, each member of my family felt the
sorrow of loss that comes when you leave a part of you behind. This house has been special to us. My kids loved it. I remember coming home from work one day to
find that they had dug underground tunnels in the back yard. Crystal and I have counseled several couples
and individuals sitting at our kitchen table or in our living room. We have entertained guests, celebrated
birthdays, experienced God, fought, made up, had Bible studies…
The really cool thing: this house is a fulfillment of one of
God’s promises to us. We had been
staying in a missions house at a local church (totally God’s provision), but I
had been looking for houses to rent. I
knew a guy who would buy foreclosures, remodel them, and then sell them for a
profit. It is called “flipping a
house.” After talking with him, I
decided to start looking for a foreclosure myself. I found one that I thought would be good to
flip. No structural damage, it just
needed a good facelift. The only problem
was that I was broke, and I couldn’t get a loan. And so I did what any grown man, responsible
husband, and father of four would do: I called my dad. “Hey man, I’ve got a
business proposition for you. I have
found a foreclosure that needs some work.
I think we can fix it up, sell it, and make a good profit. I will live in it and do the work, all you
have to do is pay for it. We split the
profit 50/50. What do you think?”
I really did not know what to expect. I was asking him to take money from his
retirement and to invest it in a rundown house during a time when the housing
market was not exactly booming. We walked
through the house, and I honestly thought that he wasn’t going to do it. But a couple weeks later he called and said,
“Wel,l I guess if we are going to buy that house, we need to put in a
bid.” We did, and we got the house.
We spent the next few weeks working tirelessly to repair
that house. We pulled up the urine
stained carpets (I am assuming from dogs), and refinished the hardwood
floors. We busted out a wall to open up
the floor plan. We changed all the light
fixtures, painted, remodeled both bathrooms and the laundry room, put on new
siding, landscaped the yard, etc. I
loved taking something broken and in bad need of repair, and restoring it into
something beautiful. By the way, isn’t
that what Christ desires for us? I know
that is what He did for me!!!
So we lived in this house for two years, sold it, and made a
decent profit. During this time, another
friend (who also happens to be my boss) and I bought another foreclosure, fixed
it up, and sold it. That allowed me to
pay off my debt and buy a Tahoe. I will
share the details about this in another post.
We moved to SC with virtually nothing, but through God’s
grace and the kindness of my father and a good friend, we are debt free and
have the provision we need to move to Idaho.
I had no idea how God would provide, I just know that He said He would,
and He has provided and continues to provide to meet all of our needs.
Love reading about how God always provides...praying daily for each of you!
ReplyDeleteThose who trust in the Lord shall not be disappointed :-)
ReplyDeleteAndy, every time I read an update from you, I leave encouraged. Thank you for opening you and Crystals' lives to us. God is truly working in a wonderful and as always, faithful way. I love that about our God..He is faithful even when we aren't..especially in our faith. That guy that I had told you about, Kevin Daly. Check out his website at http://brokenchainsintl.com/ I think that you'll find there that he has some pretty profound information for you to read.
ReplyDeleteAmanda