Ok, first of all, please accept my deepest apologies. I know that it has been two and a half weeks
since my last post. So much has happened
since we have arrived in Idaho that I have barely had time to catch my
breath. That being said, I can tell you
that I have been on a roller coaster ride emotionally since we arrived
here. I have been scared, excited,
disappointed, angry, relaxed, anxious, peaceful, lonely, content, grateful, and
empty…many times all in the same day.
And through it all, I have seen God provide in ways that I could not
have foreseen or even begun to imagine.
On Thursday, July 20th, as we descended the hill
and rounded the curve on I-90, we caught our first glimpse of Lake Coeur d’Alene. My first thought was, “Huh, I thought the
water would be bluer.” I got off on exit
15, and I had no idea where I was going, but the street led me to
downtown. As I drove around, I must say
that it was not at all what I had expected.
The feeling of euphoria that I thought would reverberate through my body
was not there. I waited for it, but it
never showed up. Don’t get me wrong, it
is a very nice town, but I just did not feel what I wanted to feel. Of course, not knowing where anything was did
not help my state of mind either.
We found a state park about thirty minutes south of town to camp
at for the weekend. Now, the drive to
that place was beautiful. Mountains on
either side gave way to rolling farm pastures.
I began to picture my ranch sitting on one of those hills, and I began
to get excited. However, the excitement
was short lived, because the reality of life was beginning to settle in with
me. The road trip family vacation was
over, and I now had to figure out how I was going to provide for my family in
this strange land. My wife’s family was still with us, which I found very
comforting.
But I still had some decisions to make. I knew what God had promised us, that He
would provide and take care of us, that He was leading us and would bless our
obedience. But this road trip had left
me with little money in my pockets, barely enough to rent a house, and surely
not enough to start my window cleaning business. In my mind, my greatest dread about moving here
was beginning to play out before me. I
was going to have to get two or three jobs, making very little money, in order
to scrape by. I have done that before as
a youth pastor and as a pastor in small ministries. And I surely did not want to start my new
adventure in Idaho doing that, but I saw no other way.
On Saturday afternoon, Crystal, knowing the turmoil going on
inside of me, told me to go for a walk down one of the trails at the campground
and hash it out with God. As I walked
along the edge of the lake, I asked God what I should do, and he told me to
call a friend of mine back home and present him with a business opportunity. And so I did.
Actually, I sent him a text. All
I said was, “Hey, I have a business proposal for you.” After few more texts and a couple of phone calls,
my friend became an investor in the window cleaning business. His investment allowed me to rent a house,
furnish it, get everything I needed to start the business, and pay the bills until
the business is up and going. I felt so
honored when he said, “I am not investing in window cleaning, I am investing in
you.”
On Monday, we found a campsite closer to town, and began the
process of finding a house. We filled
out an application for a house on Tuesday, planning to move in the next day. So Wednesday came, and my in-laws left to go
back to Michigan. As they pulled off, a
huge sense of loneliness permeated my being.
I mean, we were, after all, alone.
But I also knew that getting into a house would bring some normality
back to our lives.
“Your application has been denied.” That was the call we got from the property
management company. “Even though you have
money in the bank, the home owners are concerned that you do not have a steady
income.” So back to square one. I was so disappointed, not because I loved
the house. I mean, it was a fine house,
but it was nothing special. I was upset
because it meant more time looking, more time before we could get settled, more
time before I could concentrate on my business. I guess I was a little frustrated that God
didn’t just take care of it for us.
And then we saw an ad on craigslist for a house, and the
pictures were awesome. Crystal called on
it, and the realtor told us that the other tenants were still living in it, and
that their lease was not up until the end of August, but that they might be
able to move out a little early. Well, I
ruled it out immediately. I told Crystal
that there was no way we were going to camp out for another month, or even two
or three weeks. Crystal said that we
should at least look at it. And so we
did, and we all loved it. The agent said
that the tenants could be out in less than a week. We filled out the application, and were approved.
So after camping out for a few more nights, on Tuesday, the 31st,
we moved into an absolutely beautiful house.
God said “no” to something decent in order to say “yes” to something
wonderful. (And silly me was frustrated.)
Meanwhile, during this time I have been preparing for the
business; getting licensing, buying uniforms, ordering equipment, etc. By the end of this week, I should be ready
for business. We are also becoming acclimated to the area, and every day, we discover
something else that we like about it. The
people here are extremely friendly, and the landscape really is beautiful. I am so glad that we are here.
That is the last couple of weeks in a nutshell. God is so amazing in all of the different
ways He provides for us. Sometimes, He
simply gives us what we need. Sometimes He speaks to us, and tells us what we
must do to get what we need. Sometimes
He gives us the ability and the means to accomplish the thing we need. And sometimes He says “no” to what we think
we need, so that He can give us what we really need. No matter what way He chooses to provide, one
thing is constant: He does always provide!
I have 2 words (which isn't much for my normally chatty self): "Wow" & "Amen".
ReplyDeleteMelissa