Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Wife and Kids


(Written on Tuesday, August 14th)
My wife left us a week ago.  No, not for good.  On Tuesday, we received news that her grandfather passed away in Michigan.  Crystal really wanted to be there for her parents during this difficult time, so we bought a plane ticket online, and the next morning she flew out of Spokane.  It was a day filled with mixed emotions for all of us.  Crystal wanted to be with her family, but she did not want to leave us.  The kids and I really wanted her to be with her family, but we did not want her to leave us either.  A lot of tears were shed as she made her way to the plane, and we made our way back to the vehicle.  More tears were shed that night when she called before bedtime.

But it has been a really good week.  The kids and I have watched movies, played card games, stayed up late, gone shopping, ordered pizza.  We have had fun. Someone said to me in the store, “So you’re Mr. Mom this week?” I smiled graciously, but what I should have said was, “No, I am being dad!”  I don’t know where we got this idea that the care of the children’s needs rests solely on mom’s shoulders.  Sometimes I hear a guy say that he babysit the kids so that his wife could go shopping or out with the girls, and I think, “You’re not a baby sitter, you’re their father.  Man up!”

But that being said, let me say that over this past week I can see how much of an impact my wife has had on the lives of our children.  Mainly, because they have been easy.  My children are so good, so responsible, so kind to each other.  And that is because of the presence of an absolutely incredible lady that pours time and energy into them.  I have seen a little bit of her in each of them this week, and it has made me appreciate and love her all the more. 

Not only is Crystal an amazing mom, but she is also my best friend and most constant companion.  She is my advisor, cheerleader, prayer warrior, fellow soldier, teacher, and inspiration.  And talking to her on the phone just isn’t quite the same as looking into those beautiful blue eyes and seeing that great big smile.  And holding that phone just isn’t the same as holding her.  Yeah, I’ve missed her…a lot.   

We have counted down the days that Crystal returns to us, and I am so excited to say that in less than three hours we will be picking her up at the airport.  We will welcome her home with signs and flowers.  There will be hugs, kisses, laughter…and maybe even a few tears.

3 comments:

  1. She is an absolutely amazing woman in so many ways! We are all fortunate to have her play a part in our lives whehter in the past, present or future! I am sure she definitely feels the love. Sweet words Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree! beautifully written :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is amazing, the kids are amazing and you are amazing, Andy! Love you guys! MOM

    ReplyDelete