One emotional event changed my life forever. The event is not so important in this
discussion, but the ramifications of the event are eternal. In a moment, my entire paradigm changed. I can’t fully explain it, but God opened my
eyes and allowed me to see that I had totally missed the point. As I was crying my eyes out on my bed, God
gently said to me, “Andy you are not valuable because of what you do or don’t do. You are valuable because you are my child.”
Talk about a wake-up call.
In all my life, I had never known that.
At that moment, I realized that I had spent my whole life trying to earn
God’s acceptance by doing. And God then
said, “I do not want your service as much as I want your heart, to know you,
and I want you to know Me.”
Again, I was blown away. God had
called me out of hiding, and was healing these broken pieces in me that I did
not know were there. He said, “Andy,
I love you for you.” . It was a lot to take in all at once. But
immediately everything changed in how I saw this thing known as Christianity. It took some time to sort it all out, but God
gently and patiently taught me how to walk in this liberating knowledge.
It was a time of a lot of “firsts” for me. For the first time ever, I greatly desired to
spend time alone with God. When you stop
seeing God as someone whose love you are trying to earn, and start seeing Him
as someone who loves you for you, you want to draw close to Him.
For the first time ever, I stopped trying to earn love and
acceptance. I stopped trying to please
people. I stopped doing in order to earn
God’s favor. In fact the whole motive of
my service changed. Instead of serving
to earn God’s love, I began serving because
of God’s love. (That, in and of itself, would free a lot of burned out Christians.)
For the first time ever, I came out of hiding. I allowed people to see the real Andy. The façade that I had put on for years began
to melt away, and authenticity became my greatest desire. Your marriage will change dramatically when
you allow your spouse to see the real you.
My wife told me later, “I knew there was more in there than what you
were letting me see.”
For the first time ever, I humbled myself to get the help I
needed. When you do not allow God to
fill the void in your life, you will fill it with other things. So I sought counseling to break free from
some things that were keeping me from living a life of integrity. I found healing from some past wounds, I found freedom from past sins,
condemnation, and shame. I learned my
true identity in Christ. (By the way, it is much more than “just a sinner saved
by grace!”) I learned how to take up the
armor of Christ to defeat the enemy. I
learned how to walk in the freedom Christ has bestowed upon me by His
grace. It amazed and continues to amaze
me how gracious and loving God is to me.
During this time, God dropped a book in my lap that really
helped me on my journey. To this day, it
is still the best book I have ever read:
Waking the Dead, by John Eldredge. As I was reading the book, I was
astounded. It was like this guy looked
into my heart, saw everything I was feeling but could not yet express, and put
it down on paper.
Things also changed in my ministry. I stopped trying to build a church. It’s funny actually. In my arrogance, I actually thought that I could build a church. Crystal and I decided to let God build the
church. Our role was simply to
administer God’s grace to others. For a
whole year, I did not do anything organizationally at the church. I basically showed up on Sunday mornings and
preached. And the craziest thing
happened, God began to build the church.
Crystal and I met a lady at Cracker Barrel and invited her
family to church. Sunday morning, Holly,
her husband, Keith, and their two young sons were there. They then invited another couple, who in turn
invited another couple. That alone
doubled the size of our congregation.
The coolest part, all of them and many of their children were saved and
baptized at Safe Harbor.
But something else also happened that led to the birth of
our dream. (I know, you are probably thinking, “Finally!!!”) God started sending people to our church from
other churches. Now, my goal was never
to build a church of disgruntled Christians coming from other churches. In fact, if I met someone who attended another
church, I would not even invite them to mine.
But if someone visited my church because they were not finding life at
theirs, I was not really going to encourage them to return to a place that was
an unhealthy environment for them. So
here is what I did. When a person from
another church visited ours, I would sit down with them and learn their story. And what I found was this: these people weren’t
disgruntled; they were hurting. Instead
of receiving help and encouragement from church, they were beat down with shame
and condemnation. They felt like all of
their efforts weren’t enough. They were
burned out, and they were far from God.
Another light bulb moment: there are tons of people out there just like
me. When I asked them about their walk
with God, it was virtuously nonexistent.
They had a desire to do right, and they wanted to please God, but to
know him intimately was a foreign concept.
Crystal and I found ourselves doing a lot of
counseling. And I simply began teaching
them the things God had taught me. My
preaching also centered around these truths.
And do you know what? These disillusioned
believers began to find life. I saw
their eyes light up as they began to realize there is so much more to this
journey of faith than what they had been taught, and they found freedom.
And I also found out something about myself: I never feel
more alive than when I am helping someone find freedom in Christ. John Eldredge says, “Don’t ask what the world
needs. Ask what makes you come alive,
and do that. Because what the world
needs is men and women who have come alive.”
In the midst of helping these believers, God said to me, “This is what I
want you to dedicate your life to, helping others find freedom and purpose,
helping others come alive.”
So there it is. God
used my failures, my pain, and my desires to birth a dream in my heart. That is why “Eleutheria” (freedom) is such a
big deal to me. Christ has set us free,
but so many fail to walk in that freedom. I desire to help them discover how to
walk in the liberty to which we have been called. And so we are setting up a place of refuge
for individuals to come and find freedom. And though we do not fully know how the ranch
will evolve, we do know that it will be a place of healing, restoration, and
freedom.
My heart leaps from my chest and tears well up in my eyes as
I write, because I know that God has used everything in my life to bring me to
this point. The journey hasn’t been
easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is. But I
can say this with great certainty, the journey is worth it. And though I am not
there yet, the dream is just as alive and well as it was when God first
whispered it in my ear. And my God is
more real to me than ever before.
Amen.
ReplyDelete"When you stop seeing God as someone whose love you are trying to earn, and start seeing Him as someone who loves you for you, you want to draw close to Him". "And my God is more real to me than ever before".
ReplyDeleteThis is such a powerful truth that the body of Christ needs to get revelation of. It only takes one "God encounter" to change a life forever!
Only God can take our "mess" and make it our message.
May we all have our own "God encounter" that will change our lives forever!
Time is short and HE is waking His beloved people up. Let him who has an ear to hear... hear what the Spirit of the Lord is saying.
You & your family are pioneers. Thank you for sharing your heart & His heart!
I am sooo blessed by your testimony & journey that He has you on! To your own frontier you're a pioneer!
Blessings and MORE of you GOD!!!
I absolutely love this, Andy! Seems like our Lord has been teaching our families a lot of the same things over the past couple of years..Our identity in Christ..WOW. Love it! When I first learned the truth of my identity in Christ, I was blown away. I actually fought it because of so long a time believing one way. But, Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world. I still have so much to learn about my new life in Christ, but your identity, I believe, is the key to living a "victorious Christian life". I can't wait to tell Jed about your blog..he will be so encouraged! And by the way, have you ever heard of Kevin and Debi Daly? They have a ministry called "Broken Chains Ministry", and it sounds like much of what you want to do, they do in Georgia. I bet you two would have a field day talking to each other. Email me at aecarnesbills@gmail.com if you would like Kevin's information..he has helped us soo much!
ReplyDeleteAmanda
Cool. I will.
ReplyDeleteAndy -
ReplyDeleteYour story is beautiful. I enjoy it each time I get to hear more and more of the story of your encounter with God. All those who have met you know just how real and tangible it really is. I am very encouraged by how not only has God gotten a hold of your heart, but your willingness to take your family and engage him in the love encounter. I cannot say how powerful it is when someone finally comes to the revelation that they are loved because they are a son or a daughter, and not because of any merit of their own. It changes you, forever. It changed me too. And I would give anything for others to understand the freedom that this creates in a life. As a godly man, and a man with many gifts in writing, pastoring and so much more I cannot wait to see what God is going to unpack for you especially with your children and gifted wife right beside you. Keep sharing the story - it stirs the waters.
Santana