When someone makes a comment about how much they admire our
faith, I really want to say to them, “You don’t know the half of it, literally.” You see about half the time, my resolve is
strong, my faith is secure, and my determination is steadfast. The other half of the time, not so much.
This truly is a journey of faith. God has done so much, but frankly, we need to
see Him do more. So I find myself
playing the “what if…” game. What if we
need to wait longer? What if we run out
of money before we get there? What if I
don’t have the funds to secure a house to rent or start my business? (Phase 1 of the master plan is to start a
window cleaning business.) What if God
doesn’t provide? What if my Tahoe dies
while pulling this heavy trailer all over the country? What if this really isn’t my dream? What if this is not God speaking at all? What if? What if?
What if?
I mean, I am uprooting my kids (again), taking them away
from their friends (again), starting over (again), all because I believe that
God put a dream in my heart and has said that now is the time to go. What if I am wrong? Then what?
Just today a good friend asked me if I was sure that I did not want to
stay and flip just one more house. How
tempting. It would definitely solidify
our finances. Why not wait?
Well here’s what I know.
Every time I pray for wisdom and direction, the Holy Spirit, our Teacher
and Guide, reiterates again, “Go, and I will be with you. I will provide what you need.”
When I pick up God’s Word, He shows me the same thing. Let me give you just one example. I have been studying the book of Joshua
lately. I have also been reading two
books that both referenced a particular event that took place in Joshua. The children of Israel were getting ready to
cross the Jordan River to begin their conquest of the Promised Land. God promised that He would part the waters of
the Jordan for His people to cross, but only after the priests, carrying the ark of the covenant, step into the
water. God had provided for them on numerous occasions, had performed countless
miracles on their behalf, but now they needed another one. And God wanted them to exercise their faith
before the miracle. God said to me, “This
is how I am going to do it for you. I have provided for you. I have met your needs, and now I want you to
take a leap of faith. Do you trust Me enough to step into the water before you
have all the answers? Before you have
all that you need for the journey?”
So when I pray and seek God’s Word, I hear, “Go.” When I lean on my own understanding, I think
maybe I should possibly wait. The other
thing is this, when I set my mind to go, I have peace, a peace that passes
understanding. When I think about
waiting, no peace. So I am still
nervous, scared even. But I choose to
trust in the Lord and allow Him to direct my paths.
Author Mark Batterson says that when you step out on faith,
it is not your reputation on the line, but God’s. He is the One who is bound by His promises,
and He will come through. So when I am
double minded, my new prayer is simply this:
Lord, I believe. Help my
unbelief.
"Would you believe me if I said You don't have to wait for the answers before, you step out in FAITH!" Still hearing that when I think of you. No matter what we see with our eyes, praise Him for what he is doing. He hasn't taken you to the side of the mountain to shove you off... TRUST HIM! SO don't want you to go, but follow the peace and keep walking in the light of His path for you. He IS with you and will NOT fail you. Love you guys so much!
ReplyDeleteYes! ALWAYS follow the PEACE!! The light is always green, unless its red!
ReplyDeleteThank you for not leaning on your own understanding but, in every way you are acknowledging HIM and HE IS directing your path!
Your journey of FAITH is soooo inspiring!
God has a good history of coming through for his people. (Allow me some grace in my "Christianeze")
ReplyDeleteI feel like you have helped so many walk the path that you continue to take you'd think it was just another day in the service of Christ. However, every new obstacle reminds us that "comfortable" is not one of God's promises. I appreciate the view from the trenches. I know it is easier to write when you've reached the other side because you know the result. But you have the courage to write with only anticipation and faith.
Either God will show up or you'll look like a fool. I have confidence in the former over the latter.
We definitely played the "What If" game before we made our leap back in September of last year. Actually we made the decision in May, told my boss in May I was leaving and we were able to launch out September 1st. Between May and September 1 there were a lot of "oh crap, what have I done" moments. As the reality of it all sank in more and more, the less and less those came. I think by the time we launched out on our own, we had wrestled with it so much that we were ready to go whether or not we were sure we "were ready". Enjoying reading and following you journey.
ReplyDelete