God had given us three promises about our time in South
Carolina. First of all, He would allow
this to be a time of healing and growth for us.
Secondly, He said that He would use this time to prepare us financially
for our journey. Thirdly, He said that
He would give us opportunities to do in SC what we want to do out west. Still, we were not eager to move south. Our
hearts were set in one direction on the compass…west! Nevertheless, at the Word of our mighty
Captain, and trusting His promises to us, we packed up and prepared to move.
And it has been sunshine and roses ever since. Manna has fallen from heaven every day. And our faces have a heavenly glow from the radiance
of God’s glory because we have obeyed him.
Okay, not really. Not even close. Just the drive from Michigan to SC almost did
us in. From the moment we loaded our four kids up in our 2000 purple Dodge
Caravan (my dream vehicle, especially the color), Crystal and I began arguing,
and we were still at odds when we pulled into my parents’ driveway. Have you ever had a seventeen hour argument
with your spouse with no break, no reprieve, no way to escape. It was
brutal. We were fighting, my kids were
crying, and the enemy was laughing.
We came to South Carolina with virtually nothing. All of my worldly goods were in a storage
unit in Michigan. We had a couple of
suitcases filled with some clothes, a few books, and some toys for the kids. We had very little money (a few hundred
bucks). I had no job, no home, and no plan. I tried my hand at a sales job that I
absolutely hated, and it proved to be fruitless. We spent
the first six weeks in SC living with my parents because I had no way of
providing a home for my family. I
remember a friend of mine complaining because his television was not as big as
he would like. We saw a 54 inch flat screen,
and he said to me, “That’s nice. I only
have a 32 inch flat screen.” I responded, “Yeah…I’m homeless.” He lowered his head and said, “Okay, you win.”
I felt as though God was stripping me of everything, and
leaving me with nothing. I counseled with
a pastor friend, who basically told me that I was going through a mid-life
crisis a few years early. Thanks for the
encouragement!!! When the horse breaks
his leg, just shoot him.
I think the hardest part was that Crystal was at the same
low point, lower even. Crystal is my
best friend and most faithful companion.
She lifts me up when I am down, and I try to do the same for her. But we were both so drained emotionally that
we had nothing to give each other. We felt
so alone. My kids would cry daily, asking us if we could move back home. It
ripped my heart out.
Now, for the record, not every moment was bad, and we did
not spend every waking moment wallowing in self pity. In fact, the main highlight of the early days
in SC was reconnecting with some dear friends.
God, in his loving kindness surrounded us with some great people, and
used them to lift us up. Our journey
felt somewhat like Frodo’s quest to Mordor, and God surrounded us with a “fellowship”
to help us carry the ring. (If I just lost you, this is a reference to “The
Lord of the Rings”) I will mention many
of them in another post, but for now, just let me say that God used them to
carry us when we could not pick ourselves up, and we are eternally grateful.
What I did not
realize at the time, but what I am beginning to understand, is that God was
fulfilling one of his promises-to grow us.
You see, He had orchestrated this move, not for our hurt, but for our
good. He was strengthening us for what lies ahead. You see, when you set out to
accomplish your God given purpose, when you come alive, you will be
opposed. All of the fury of the enemy
will be unleashed on you. Why? Because he fears who you are. A Child of the King, a Prince or Princess of
the kingdom, a valuable Warrior in this crusade. And the enemy fears what God will do in you
and through you when you choose to forsake all else and play your role in this
magnificent story that God is writing.
Because when you do, people will see Christ, come to know Him, follow
Him, glorify Him. And every time that
happens, the enemy loses again.
Oh yes, my brothers, you will be opposed. The battle is not for the weak, the frail of
heart. So our mighty Captain prepares us
for the mission for which we are called.
It is not torment, it is not judgment; it is His gracious loving kindness
working in our hearts so that we can step onto the battlefield with confidence
and courage, so that we can raise our swords high and proclaim, “Victory is
ours through the power of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.”
Count it all joy, my
brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing
of your faith produces steadfastness.
And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and
complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4
Thank you for being willing to give up a more "comfortable" life to live out God's plan for you guys in this growing season down south. Your transparency through all of this leg of the journey has been used for God's glory. Thank you for your family's friendship and love. We are excited to see what God has already prepared for you out west. :)
ReplyDelete-Tabatha
I too have been and continue to be blessed by the way your family "is real"! Thanks for sharing the good, bad and sometimes not pretty parts...praise God, He uses them all for His good and glory! Praying for you and loving you-already miss you!! Lynn Sawyer
ReplyDelete