I did something a
couple of days ago that I probably should have done as soon as we had finished
loading our trailer two weeks ago. I hooked
that trailer, filled with all my worldly possessions, to my boss’s work truck,
and I drove it down to the local landfill to weigh it on their scales. Now the manufacturer’s recommendation for the
Tahoe is that the tow weight not exceed 6900 lbs. So when I weighed the packed out trailer, the
total weight was 9300 lbs. I only
exceeded the weight limit by 2400 lbs.
Oops.
Needless to say, I did not really feel comfortable driving
across the country with that heavy of a load. And I knew that if I was going to
reach my destination, end up where God wanted me to be, I was going to have to
leave some “stuff” behind. So a couple
friends and I spent the evening unloading the trailer, and Crystal and I went
through almost every box and tub, trying to determine what we could leave
behind. And I learned that shedding 2400
lbs is not easy. We spent a couple of
hours making some tough decisions. What
must we take? What can we leave
behind? What are the most important
things we want with us on this journey?
What can easily be replaced after we arrive?
So the next morning, we reloaded my trailer, laying aside
the weight that would hinder us. Of course, this whole episode got me to
thinking about how many of us are weighed
down by loads we are not meant to be carrying.
Loads that hinder us from accomplishing God’s perfect plan for us.
I am absolutely convinced that God has a very personal and
specific purpose for each of us, a mission for us to accomplish for the kingdom. But we cannot fully pursue God and His
purpose if we are weighed down.
For some, the weights are internal things we carry deep
inside ourselves. Doubt, fear, guilt,
shame. These are powerful, fiery darts
in the enemy’s arsenal. He hurls them at
us with all the hatred and vengeance he can muster. He takes all of our hurts, failures,
misunderstandings, mistakes, etc., and lays them before us again and again, as
if to say, “This is who you really are!” And many become casualties of war by
listening to his vicious lies.
This is why we are to take up the shield of faith and the
Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God.
God’s Word tells a much different story about who you are. You see, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new
creature. Old things are passed away all
things are new. (2 Corinthians 5:17) According
to God, you are valuable, significant, holy, justified, righteous, powerful,
and complete. You are a prince/princess,
a warrior, an ambassador, salt, light, and a citizen of heaven. Christ has granted us forgiveness, healing,
hope, freedom, purpose, and a future. (Just pull out a concordance and see what
the Bible says about all of these things.)
The enemy knows this
and hates it. He also knows your
potential and fears it. So he will spew
his lies in order to steal kill and destroy all that God has for you. My suggestion: let it go. Drop the lies that you have believed for so
long. Realize what God says about
you. And swing that Sword at the devil,
and he will have to flee. By the way, do
not be afraid to get some outside help with this if you need it.
Other weights come from outside sources that we allow to
control us. More specifically, I am
talking about all the things that compete for our time and energy: work, little
league, play groups, church, ballet lessons, extended family, church, bowling
league, unexpected phone calls, piano recitals, church.
I know way too many people that allow others to set their
agenda, instead of seeking God and asking Him what they need to be doing. I know I mentioned church three times in my
list, and that was not an accident. I
have seen far too many Christ followers get burned out simply because they do
not know how to say “no” to the Sunday school director, or the choir leader, or
the nursery coordinator, or the youth pastor, or the chairman of the welcoming
committee, or the Awana commander, or the head usher, or Sister Eunice’s bake
club, or whatever other ministry has been created to be a “blessing” to
others. Let me say this as nicely as
possible: Every ministry leader that approaches you about helping in their
ministry has an agenda. They have
positions to fill, and you will help them get that job done. And with very few exceptions, they are not
concerned about your time, your abilities, your talents, or your God-given
calling. All they know is that you are
breathing, and you can help them meet their quota.
I know this sounds harsh, but very few of them are actually
looking out for you. So guess what? You have to look out for you. Let me tell you how to keep from getting
trapped into doing something that you do not want to do (whether at church or
any other venue).
First of all, seek God and find out what HE wants you to do.
Again, I am convinced that God has a perfect plan for your life. And He has created you with built-in talents,
abilities, and desires to accomplish His mission.
Secondly, if you are presented with an opportunity that does
not line up with God’s purpose for you, simply say, “No, that is not what God
is calling me to do at this time.”
Remember not every open door is from God, and just because something is “good”
does not mean that it is God’s best for you.
Now if you are not sure about an opportunity, take some time
to pray about it. When God answers, act
accordingly.
Finally, stand your ground.
Some of these ministry leaders are
very persistent. They will come back,
especially as their deadline approaches and they grow desperate. Many will seek to “guilt” you into
service. Don’t cave. Be strong and very courageous for the Lord is
with you.
Now don’t get me wrong.
This is not an excuse for you to say no to everything; we are called to
serve. What I am saying is this: Don’t get so busy meeting others’ agendas
that you miss out on the mission that God has set before you. Release any and every weight, whether
internal or external, that will keep you from following your life’s purpose.
By the way, my trailer is totally reloaded, and I am still a
little too heavy. So I am headed out to
release some more weight. I do not want
anything to keep me from reaching my destination.
No comments:
Post a Comment