Sunday, July 15, 2012

Weary Traveler


It is a little past 10pm (mountain time) on Saturday evening, and I am lying in a tent at a campground in Rapid City, SD.  My kids were asleep before they hit the mat tonight.  My little adventurers are exhausted.  We have been very busy since we left Traverse City four days ago. 

Let’s see, we met up with my in-laws in Michigan’s upper peninsula.  They chose to spend their family vacation traveling with us.  So we drove all day, and found a campground for the night.  The next morning, we bathed in Lake Superior, the coldest of the Great Lakes, and we spent most of the day driving to Minnesota to another campground.  Yesterday, we spent most of the day at Mall of America.  My three oldest all rode their first roller coasters.  And I pretty much decided that the “thrill” of thrill rides no longer excites me.  After we left the mall, we drove late into the night and stopped at a truck stop close to midnight.  My Tahoe is not quite as spacious as a hotel room or even my tent, but I managed to get a little rest.

Left the truck stop at 7 am this morning, headed to Rapid City.  But we took our time and stopped at few attractions. as we traveled.  We went to a place called 1880 Town.  I almost didn’t buy tickets, but so glad that I did.  It was really cool to see this town, walk into its buildings, and think about the people who left security to go west and make a life for themselves and their families.  Many of them never seeing their friends or loved ones again.  They did not know what they would face, whether sickness, bandits, poverty, or whatever.  What courage and strength they had!  We also took a scenic tour through the badlands.  Amazing!   We stopped several times along the way to take pictures, and my kids spent some time climbing the rocks.  Tomorrow, we head to Mt, Rushmore, then onward to Yellowstone. 

As I write, I feel somewhat like a weary traveler.  Don’t get me wrong.  I have greatly enjoyed this road trip with my in-laws, and this time with my wife and kids is priceless.  The beauty of this great country takes my breath away.  But I am ready to have a place to call home.  I think that is why it was so hard leaving Traverse City a few days ago.  That place was home to me.  Even when I moved back to South Carolina, TC was still home.  SC was just a part of the journey. Albeit an extremely vital part, but I knew when I arrived there that I was just passing through.  Returning to Traverse City was like going back to all the comforts, familiarities, friendships, and beauties of home.

Arriving in Coeur d’alene will be much different, I think.  I will know nobody.  I will have to find a house when we get there, and a church.  I am still not 100% sure what I am going to do for work.  I have so many questions streaming in my mind.  So the security of a place like Traverse City can be very alluring in the midst of all the uncertainty.  But I still hold to the promise that God is going to take care of us, and that is all that really drives me now.  That, and the fact that I believe this journey is part of what I am supposed to bring to the world.  I can’t really explain it, but I feel like our journey will be a catalyst for others who dare to dream big.  And so I move forward.  This quest for Eleutheria is not without its doubts and fears, no quest is.  But My King is faithful, and He will complete the work He has started in us.

While we were driving around Lake Superior, we passed by a marina filled with boats, and Crystal said something to me that totally renewed my resolve.  It was actually a quote from bestselling author, Chris Brady.  “Ships are safe in the harbor, but they are not made for the harbor.  Good sailors are not made on calm seas.”    And so we are sailing in some uncharted waters, and it is not always smooth sailing, but the Captain of my vessel is leading us.  And we will arrive at our destination, and we will be stronger for having made the journey.  And we will have some struggles, and we will have some setbacks, and we will meet new people, and we forge new friendships, and we will make this unknown territory into a home.



                                                                                                                                                           

   

2 comments:

  1. jennifer freshwaterJuly 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM

    I am so very thankful for the blessings the Lord had bestowed upon you and Crystal. You, already, are experiencing things most will never have the opportunity to experience. I lift you up in prayer and beg the Lord to continue to bless and provide for you and your family. God has great things in store for you! ....if others could only possess the amount of faith that you have. I pray that you will be provided with a house that will be a home and a job that will allow you to continue in giving to others what our Saviour Has given to you, a true desire to be enveloped in His love and always share His word! Love you guys so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE a pivot point. Just as the early pioneers were. You are doing the work and paving the way that will effect all of eternity and generations to come! It isn't easy being a pivot point, but the reward is beyond comprehension - for many. Most will never know the sacrifices, prayers, battles in flesh & spirit realm, blood, sweat, tears that you will pour into it. Your children we see some of it and will be the first to benefit. But the impact will remain for generations to come! What a legacy! Keep pressing onward...
    May you be the strongest, boldest pioneering pivot point that side of the Mississippi! The Lord IS with you MIGHTY WARRIORS! xoxo

    ReplyDelete