“Farewell, my brave hobbits.
My work is now finished. Here at
last on the shores of the sea comes the end of our fellowship. I will not say ‘Do not weep.’ For not all tears are an evil.”
Gandalf,
Return of the King
No matter how many times I have watched The Lord of the
Rings (and it has been many times), I always break down at the end. Gandalf and Frodo say farewell to their
friends and board a ship, leaving behind middle earth and their dearest
companions forever. It’s beautiful, it’s
poetic, and it tears me up. I mean, I know
that it’s coming, and I try to prepare for it.
But it doesn’t matter. Gandalf
starts talking, and the tears start flowing.
Yes, I know, I need to man-up, but that three minute clip stirs
something deep inside of me.
I have pondered this for some time, and I think I know why
my soul weeps as Gandalf and Frodo sail away to the undying lands. I think it is the finality of it all. Gandalf and Frodo will never again see their
hobbit friends. And that is not the way
it is supposed to be. We were not
created for “Farewell.” God intended us
to live in fellowship, in communion with Him and with one another. It was only after the fall of man that the
loneliness and emptiness of separation became a part of the human experience. And we all long for the day where “good-bye”
no longer has to leave our lips. One
day, when King Jesus makes all things right, “farewell” will be a thing of the
past.
Until then, however, we will continue to weep bitter tears,
and experience the sadness of loss as we say “good-bye” to those who are dear
to us. Tomorrow morning, we set out in
pursuit of a dream that was birthed several years ago. But tonight my thoughts are on those that we
must leave behind, those who hold a special place in our hearts. Allow me to speak to each of them directly:
Mom and Dad: I am so
thankful for the time that we had together.
It passed so quickly. We love you
very much, and look forward to the time that we can all be together again.
Steve and Robin: I remember
sitting in your living room shortly after we moved here, and you shared with us
all of the things God was doing in your hearts.
I am so excited to see the journey that He has taken you on as you have
had the courage to listen to His voice and follow His leading. We admire you guys so much. God has great plans for you. Steve, thanks for letting me work for you
when I first moved back here. It was
like old times. We had a lot of fun; it
really didn’t feel like work. (Ok, it
felt like work a little bit when we had to trim Charlie’s hedges.)
Keven and Christina: God
has placed a huge dream in your hearts, don’t ever let anyone or anything
snatch it away. Don’t ever lose your
passion; it ignites a fire in the hearts of all of those who are around you. Always remember that our Mighty Captain is
faithful to do all that He has promised.
I am so proud of you guys.
Tim and Alicia: Some
of my favorite memories in South Carolina involve all of us sitting around my
kitchen table and talking together, weeping together, laughing together. You guys are so special to us. I have seen you guys grow so much in the last
two years, and the best is yet to come for you.
God has called you out; be strong and courageous, for the Lord is with
you wherever you go.
David and Melissa: Thank you for the life of faith that you
live out on a daily basis. God will
surely honor such a faith. You guys have
been a constant source of encouragement to us.
I will miss our late night dinners, especially your desserts. You have an open invitation to come and cook
for us anytime in Idaho.
Noah and Emily: I
have no doubt that God brought you to South Carolina for us. We are stronger, our faith is greater, and
our God is bigger because of you.
Chad and Jenny: I have seen our King do incredible things in
you and through you, and I look forward to watching your journey unfold as you
walk this road of faith with Him.
Ben and Tabatha: What
can I say? I just love you guys. I am honored to call you my friends. Thanks for everything. Ben, there is no one
that I can talk to like I talk to you.
Thank you. It means more than you
know. God is up to something, and it is really, really big. Get ready, because it’s coming.
Josh and Ashley: Sometimes, words fail me. This is one of those times. I have come to love you like family. “Thank
you” does not even begin to convey my gratitude for all you have done for my
family. I see God awakening things in both of you. Lean into it, and allow Him to do His perfect
work in you. You are so special to Him
and to us.
Dear God, I pray a
special blessing over each of our friends.
Hold them under the shadow of Your wing.
Give each of them the courage to play out their role in Your story, and
the revelation to know what that role is.
Thank you for putting each of them in our path on this journey. Watch over them and protect them until we see them again. Amen.
Just remember, "This is not goodbye." We'll just say, "See you later." Thank you for your friendship. We are excited to see what God has for you in Idaho and pray for your journey there.
ReplyDeleteWe love you guys,
The Fulmers
We love you guys. We are so excited for you. Forge ahead knowing we send you with many prayers and much love. We anticipate the best is yet to come.
ReplyDeleteWith much love and admiration,
The Sawyers