I am sitting at a table on the wraparound porch at my
in-laws farm house. After three days of
travel, it is nice to have a “do nothing” day.
We will leave here tomorrow for Traverse City to see friends for a
couple of days, and then we take a hard left that will lead us to Idaho.
It has been a great journey so far. For those of you who were worrying, you will
pleased to hear that Crystal and I made it all the way from South Carolina to
Michigan without one argument. Not even
a small one. We left on Tuesday after
lunch, drove to Virginia and stopped for the night. Wednesday, we drove to Ohio, and spent the
night at a dairy farm. Elmer and Carolyn
are the parents of our good friend, Noah, in South Carolina. Noah’s wife,
Emily, encouraged us to stop there on our journey, promising us that we would
leave encouraged and refreshed. How
right she was! We spent Wednesday
evening, sitting around the picnic table, just talking about our great God and
how He works in the lives of His people.
Then they took us to the Wooster fireworks show, that was supposed to
start at 10 pm, but that actually started at 9:30 because rain was moving into
the area. So we watched the grand
finale from a distance as we were
driving to the show. But I was totally
cool with that, less traffic to deal with.
The next morning, Emily’s mom, Barb, and her husband, Larry,
joined us for breakfast, and we all took a tour of the farm together. (Homeschool field trip). Before we left, we all formed a circle, held
hands, and these two special couples spent some time praying over us, our
family, our journey, and our future ministry.
You know, when
someone used to say to me, “I’ll be praying for you,” I never really gave it
much thought. It was a nice sentiment
and all, but those words never really impacted me. But over the past couple of years, and
especially the past few months, that one statement has become so dear to
me. Especially when I know that the
person saying it actually means it. What
I like even more is when someone says, “We want to pray over you right now.” It is so precious to me when people that I
respect, admire, and love put their hands on our heads or shoulders, and ask
God to pour out His provision, power, and blessing upon us. To fellowship with them
around the throne of grace- WOW! How
awesome is that? I have been encouraged
and challenged by all of the prayers prayed over us regarding our quest.
We arrived at my in-law’s house at about 7:30 last
night. Actual drive time from SC to
here-about twenty hours. Without hauling
a huge trailer, this would be a fourteen hour trip. Needless to say, I am driving at a much
slower pace with the trailer. Instead of
my usual 75-80 mph’s, I am driving at the astounding rate of 45-55 mph’s, with
downhill gusts of 65. I kind of feel
like the tortoise from the children’s story, “Slow and steady wins the race.” That’s’ okay, though. I had determined before we ever drove our
first mile that I was going to take it slow, and that we would arrive precisely
when God means for us to. And it has
actually been rather relaxing. I don’t
have any deadlines. I am not trying to
break my speed record from the last trip.
We stop when we want to. I have
not been impatient. My wife can tell you
that that alone is a good moral victory for me.
I know that we still have many miles to go; we are only
about a quarter of the way to our destination, but our mighty Captain has been
so faithful thus far. Of course, I
expected nothing different. The trailer,
which was probably my greatest concern, is traveling beautifully. My kids are traveling even better. Man, they are troopers; I am so proud of
them.
And here’s the really
cool thing, I have not paid one penny out of my pocket. My expenses thus far, including gas, hotel,
food, and numerous coffee breaks, total about $520. But before we left SC, we started receiving farewell
cards and gifts. $20, $100, $50, $250, $160,
a $50 gas card, Starbucks gift cards. We
made it from South Carolina to Michigan without spending any of our own
money. Not only that, but God has also
provided other things. A friend gave us
a hand held video recorder. Someone paid
for some work I needed to have done to my Tahoe, $386 value. I needed a weight distribution kit for my
trailer, and a friend actually had one in storage that he gave to me. That saved me over $500. My kids were given gifts to entertain them
on the road. I mean, so many blessings
have been poured out on us.
Believe it or not, I have a tendency to worry about the
details. How is this going to work? How are we going to make it? Will we have enough? And God shows me time and time again, “Son, I
have got you covered. I am taking care
of you.” He is parting the rivers of the
Jordan so that we can walk through on dry ground.
Thanks to everyone who has favored us with a blessing from
God. Your gift to us is no small
thing. In fact, I am coming to believe
that there are no such things as “small things.” I believe that everything done in the name of
the Kingdom is a big deal. There was a
boy that gave only a small lunch, but it fed thousands. There was a young man that only had a small
sling, but it brought down a giant.
There was a general that had a small army, but it delivered Israel from
the Midianites. There was a man that had
a small faith, but it healed his son.
God takes our “small things” and makes them mighty. It all counts for the glory and honor of our
great King.
Tears spill down my face as I read of His goodness! HALLELUJAH! (And probably because I miss you already & regret not spending more time together in the short time we knew you!) :) This is one of those times that I want to say, "I knew it!" When Crystal told me of your weary heart and wondering how it would all come together financially for the trip (which is totally understandable - from a human aspect!), I sensed the Lord was already at work and would prepare the way. That He would be for you Jehovah Jirah, our provider, that is the same yesterday, today and FOREVER! I even chuckled a little, just knowing that He was telling me you'd be all right, actually BETTER than all right! :) Love it. Love you guys. Love the updates. Love the faith & love you have for our Father and the inspiration you are to all of us. So glad you enjoyed our family and were blessed by your time there! Looking forward to more of this adventure and what God has in store! xoxo
ReplyDeleteYeah, what "Anonymous" said! and.... God ROCKS!!! Yeahhhhh GOD!! and yeah for the 'body of Christ' being the "body of Christ"to you & yours!!
ReplyDeleteMakes me do a HAPPY Dance!! :-)